Take a look at the trailer for Vanquish below. This is the latest work from Shinji Mikami, famed creator of the Resident Evil franchise. What exactly is going on here? What type of game is this? We've got a gruff looking space marine fighting robot aliens. What are we supposed to get out of this trailer? Which brings us to this week's topic: What are we supposed to get out of trailers in general? Join us while we discuss veterans, butterflies, 80's music, exploitation, and the art of game trailers. You can find links to some of the trailers we discuss in the show notes. We encourage you to check them out and leave your thoughts in the comments section.
Some discussion starters:
- Can trailers even hope to give an accurate assessment of what the game is going to be like?
- Do they have an obligation to not mislead the viewer?
- What do you look for in a good trailer? Have any favorites? Have you ever avoided them?
To listen to the podcast:
- Subscribe to the EXP Podcast via iTunes here. Additionally, here is the stand-alone feed.
- Listen to the podcast in your browser by left-clicking the title. Or, right-click and select "save as link" to download the show in MP3 format.
- Subscribe to this podcast and EXP's written content with the RSS link on the right.
- Run time: 30 min 02 sec
- Halo 3 Museum Trailer
- GTA4: Liberty City Stories Trailer
- Mirror's Edge Trailer
- Gears of War 2 Trailer
- Left 4 Dead 2 Trailer
- Music provided by Brad Sucks