The cub scouts, the younger sect of Boy Scouts of America, have recently added a new honorable achievement for children to attain: the videogame merit badge. Technically, they award a belt loop or academic pin. Regardless, to claim the glory of such a trophy, kids have to accomplish a few tasks. Join us this week as Scott and I discuss the ESRB, consumer education, math with Marcus Fenix, and what it takes to become a young videogame guru. You can find a link to the scouts official requirements in the show notes. Comments, as usually, are highly appreciated.
Some discussion starters:
- What do you think about the cub scout requirements? Are they detailed enough? Do they serve an important purpose?
- Does this award fulfill a perceived need to acclimate children to the world of games and technology?
- What requirements might you add to the list?
To listen to the podcast:
- Subscribe to the EXP Podcast via iTunes here. Additionally, here is the stand-alone feed.
- Listen to the podcast in your browser by left-clicking the title. Or, right-click and select "save as link" to download the show in MP3 format.
- Subscribe to this podcast and EXP's written content with the RSS link on the right.
- Run time: 25 min 22 sec
- The cub scout video game award and requirements
- Music provided by Brad Sucks