The perils of internet anonymity have long stirred up conflict within gaming communities. Blizzards attempt to fight back against forum trolls resulted in a loud outcry from those eager to protect their privacy. While Blizzard's Real ID plans were eventually canceled, they opened up an interesting discussion about anonymity and the role of developers in maintaining a healthy community. Join us this week as Scott and I discuss Blizzard's plans, facebook privacy, horse photos, public shaming, Dennis Rodman, and militant honesty. We encourage you to leave your thoughts in the comments section below.
Some discussion starters:
- How well can online communities police themselves?
- What responsibility does Blizzard have in monitoring and shaping player behavior?
- Is our relation to anonymity changing?
To listen to the podcast:
- Subscribe to the EXP Podcast via iTunes here. Additionally, here is the stand-alone feed.
- Listen to the podcast in your browser by left-clicking the title. Or, right-click and select "save as link" to download the show in MP3 format.
- Subscribe to this podcast and EXP's written content with the RSS link on the right.
- Run time: 30 min 39 sec
- “Pro Real ID" by Krystian Majewski, via Game Design Scrapbook
- Music provided by Brad Sucks