The trailer for Dead Island appeared last week and shook gaming enthusiasts to the core. The internet was positively elated by this emotionally provocative commercial, which you can find embedded below. Techland must be doing something right, the film adaptation of the game has already been optioned (Ed: Or not, although plans will certainly be underway). But how does the trailer hold-up to our critical gaze? What is all the excitement about? Join us this week while Scott and I discuss dead children, cultural expectations, and the art of a good trailer. You can find a slew of links in the show notes and, as always, we encourage you to share your thoughts in the comments section below.
Some discussion starters:
- What did you think of the Dead Island trailer?
- Is it sound to try to enhance a game using material not find within it?
- Should Dead Island set a new precedent for successful game trailers?
To listen to the podcast:
- Subscribe to the EXP Podcast via iTunes here. Additionally, here is the stand-alone feed.
- Listen to the podcast in your browser by left-clicking this link. Or, right-click and select "save as link" to download the show in MP3 format.
- Subscribe to this podcast and EXP's written content with the RSS link in the address bar.
- Run time: 27 min 38 sec
- "Dead Island - Announcement Trailer," via IGN
- "Welcome to Dead Island," by Ryan Geddes via IGN
- "Dead Island trailer made chronological, humorous," via Joystiq
- Carousel and Delux Commercials by Adam Berg
- Music provided by Brad Sucks