This week, Jorge and I take a trip to the theater and discuss the recently-released Indie Game: The Movie. It's a documentary featuring the creative folks behind three of the most well-known independent games of the past few years: Braid, Super Meat Boy, and Fez. The movie offers a glimpse of the extremely personal journey of making a video game and explores the personal and professional challenges they face along the way. The film has generated a lot of discussion inside the video game community and in broader press and we're looking forward to hearing your thoughts in the comments!
Some discussion starters:
- What does the film teach us about the independent scene and the video game industry overall?
- Who is this movie for? What can gaming enthusiasts take from it and what might newcomers learn?
- What other independent developers would you like to see highlighted in a movie?
To listen to the podcast:
- Subscribe to the EXP Podcast via iTunes here. Additionally, here is the stand-alone feed.
- Listen to the podcast in your browser by left-clicking here. Or, right-click and select "save as link" to download the show in MP3 format.
- Subscribe to this podcast and EXP's written content with the RSS link on the right.
- Run time: 46 min 35 sec
- The official website for Indie Game: The Movie
- "Indie Game: The Movie's new credits put end to conflict," by Allistair Pinsof, via Destructoid
- Music provided by Brad Sucks